Updated: Dec 20, 2018
What would Christmas be without the perfect gingerbread cookies? I came up with this recipe and honestly, it's life-changing! The gingerbread tastes and smells just like Christmas.
Smooth and soft from the inside, and crunchy from the outside. That's what I want in a gingerbread cookie. Gingerbread cookies are the most amazing Christmas cookies through all the special spices that come in the dough. Also, they remind me of being a child and baking with my mum. I loved using all the different Christmas cookie cutters that we had, and remember waiting in front of the oven to see when the cookies are ready to come out. And then, when they come out of the oven, the house is filled with a warm cosy smell of freshly baked goods and how can you not immediately start eating the cookies? I loved decorating them though so I was quite patient and couldn't wait to use all the colours that we had.
You can probably relate to this nostalgic feeling that comes up when you smell Christmas cookies. Now, if you don't have any cutters you can make round cookies or cut them out by using a knife (what I did). It works surprisingly well. I thought there's no point in ordering any cookie cutters because of the unnecessary plastic packaging, and I don't think I'd use these at any other point other than for Christmas baking.
The dough is super easy to work with! And except for making this for Christmas and all the days before and after, you can totally make these cookies as a Christmas present for your friends and family. I LOVE it every time I get cookies, it's one of the best presents in my opinion. I have many other tips of what you can get your loved ones. You can find them on my blog and my instagram.
But now, let's take a look at the recipe! I don't want you to be dreaming of these cookies, you have to experience them yourself. Let me know in the comments and on instagram what you think about them, would love to hear your opinion! And tag me as always in your photos @blissfoodflower #blissfoodflower
Super easy and fun to make (and vegan). Can be a Christmas gift, or simply eaten up on the day.
Does it keep? Yes, 3-4 days. Store in an airtight container.
Prep Time: Without decoration: 30 minutes
With decoration: 40-45 minutes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 Tbsp maple syrup / molasses
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax seeds & 3 Tbsp hot water)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp + 1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves (or blend 4-5 cloves)
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp plant based milk (I use almond)
1. Make your flax egg by stirring together flax and hot water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. With a mixer, stir the butter and the brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the flax egg, maple / molasses, vanilla and peanut butter to the butter and sugar, mix it all until combined.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C (150°C fan oven). In a separate smaller bowl, add all the dry ingredients (spices, sifted flour, baking soda, salt) and stir with a spoon.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. A dough should be formed. If the dough is crumbly, add some milk (1-2 Tbsp should be enough).
6. Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and if needed, flour your hands. Knead the dough and form a ball with it. Add flour if the dough is too sticky.
7. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut cookies out with cookie cutters. Roll the left over dough to a ball again, roll out and cut cookies. Repeat this process until you used up the entire dough.
8. Place the cookies on a reusable baking sheet and leave in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
9. Once the cookies are out of the oven, cool completely.
10. Optional: Once they are cooled, mix together the icing sugar, vanilla and milk. The frosting should be thick and sticky. With a piping bag, decorate your cookies.
Disclaimer: This recipe is inspired by Minimalist Baker's Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies.
#environmentalist #zerowaste #zerowastelife #sustainability #sustainable #sustainableliving #zerowasteliving #zerowastehome #vegan #zerowastevegan #coffeescrub #DIY #christmas #christmaspresent #christmasgift #veganchristmas #vegan #gingerbreadmen #gingerbreadcookies #gingerbread #christmascookies